Brew me a cup for a winter’s night.
For the wind howls loud and the furies fight;
Spice it with love and stir it with care,
And I’ll toast our bright eyes,
My sweetheart fair.
~Minna Thomas Antrim
Winter always leaves everyone in question as in what to eat. It is the season where you get more frequently hungry. And definitely eating crap leaves your health in disaster. So eating at right food is very necessary.
Usually people turn a sore eye to veggies but I would like to put a heavy weight on veggies, as they are great source of nutrients and vitamins. It helps you to have a amazing health and great glowing skin throughout winter.
There is good amount of vegetables that are available in winter. Here is a list of vegetables that are available in winter:
- Broccoli is a excellent source of vitamin C, fiber, iron and calcium.
- It has been proved as protection against cancer. It purifies blood and increased the immune system of the body.
- Broccoli supports your upset tummy.
- Sulforaphane, a compound found in broccoli is great solution to boost your liver and skin cells which helps in detoxification of body but at the same time this compound can repair sun damaged skin.
- Broccoli has been singled out as one of the small number of vegetables and fruits that contributed to the significant reduction in heart disease
- Phytonutrient antioxidants found in broccoli also acts as Cataract Prevention.
It is very important to buy right kind of broccoli hence always select firm stems which will have heads that are a dark green-purple color. And buds should always be closed with no signs of yellow flowers.
- Kale belongs to the same family of cabbage.
- It is rich in vitamin A, C and K. kale also a good amount of manganese, dietary fiber, calcium and potassium.
- Kale promotes health of lungs since it is extremely good in vitamin A.
- Kale is an excellent source of vitamin C. it is the primary water-soluble antioxidant in the body, appealing free radicals and preventing damage in the aqueous environment.
- Vitamin C, which is found kale is vital for the proper function of a healthy immune system, is good for preventing colds.
- Kale will also provide meets with required needs for manganese. The mineral founds helps produce energy from protein and carbohydrates, and is involved in the production of fatty acids which are highly important for a healthy nervous system.
Well to enjoy the delicacy of kale select crisp, tender leaves that are bright in color.
- Sweet potatoes are excellent source of vitamin A and vitamin C and a good source of vitamin B-6, fiber, copper and potassium.
- Sweet potatoes are amazing food for anemic patients.
Always get firm, medium-sized potatoes with tapered ends. Avoid ones with blemishes, sprouts, or any sign of decay.
- Squash has proved to be one of the richest source of vitamin A, vitamin C, potassium and fiber but at the same time it supplies good amount of thiamin.
- Plus, they are among the healthiest types of complex carbohydrates.
- Juices gained from squash to be equal to juices made from leeks, pumpkin, and radish in their ability to prevent cell mutations
Get squash that is heavy of its size. The skin should be thick and hard without deface.
- Snow peas are an excellent source of vitamin A, vitamin K, B complex vitamins and vitamin C.
- Snow peas provide nutrients which are very important for maintaining bone health.
- The folic acid and vitamin B6 found in snow peas are helpful for cardiovascular health.
- Thiamin-vitamin B1, vitamin B6, riboflavin-vitamin B2 and niacin-vitamin B3 are nutrients that are necessary for carbohydrate, protein and lipid metabolism and which are found in ample amount in Snow peas.
Select bright green and firm peas. Avoid rubbery ones.
- Lettuce is also known as Romaine Lettuce.
- They are amazing source of vitamin A and vitamin C.
- Since lettuce is extremely low calorie content and high water volume it is actually a very nutritious food.
- This is the reason it is used in great proportion in salad which controls obesity and at the same time gives ample amount nutrition required by the body.
Pick the fresh green crisp leaves which are free of brown spots on the leaves or stems.
It is always depend on us how we live a healthy lifestyle. Because markets provide you everything that is available it is upon you what to pick and make your tummy healthy. Market sells from junk food to healthiest fruits and vegetables everything, its you who need to select the right stuff of your beloved tummy.
Vegetables are the food of the earth; fruit seems more the food of the heavens. ~Sepal Felicivant